Sandwell Council has opened a consultation on the implementation of the Sandwell Valley Master Plan. It is asking residents and businesses for their views.
The Sandwell Valley Master Plan plan covers the ten-year period until 2034. It brings together different aspects of the country park’s visitor services with the aim of making Sandwell a destination of choice.
Sandwell Valley country park
Sandwell Valley is a large estate spanning over 1,800 acres of open countryside. It has strategic importance for the borough and already attracts thousands of walkers, runners and visitors every year.
The country park includes a visitor centre, Forge Mill Farm, Sandwell Showground, Sandwell Valley Amusements, the King George V pavilion with changing room facilities, and Swan Pool. There are playgrounds and sites for various sports and leisure activities including mini-golf, high ropes, bike tracks and model flying.
The Master Plan
The Sandwell Valley Master Plan offers a proposal of improvements to the following areas:
- Connectivity and parking across all sites
- Sandwell Valley Visitor Centre – including repairs, a retractable roof for events and activities, and an expanded cafe and shop offer
- A new heritage discovery zone offering educational play and activities linked to the history and conservation elements of the area
- A new watersports centre and cafe at Swan Pool to replace the current building, with expanded parking
- A new food education and cooking barn to promote healthy eating and cooking in Sandwell for schools, families and parents.
Sandwell Council’s cabinet member for leisure and tourism Councillor Charn Singh Padda said:
“Sandwell Valley Country Park is one the jewels in Sandwell’s crown. It is a place that many of us have been visiting for years for leisure, sport or just to relax. We want to make sure that it can be enjoyed by Sandwell residents for generations to come. This is why we are asking everyone to let us know what they think of the improvements we are proposing.”
You can have your say on the plan at https://consultationhub.sandwell.gov.uk/.
Paper copies will also be available at libraries and Sandwell Council House.
Did you know Sandwell Council is currently running a public consultation on its budget? This is running until Tuesday 2 January 2024. Learn more.
You might be interested in